Friday 27 April 2012

Putting my foot in it..

      Recently, I've been striving to go against the grain..
      My husband has been, for 38 years, a conscientious, well respected and beloved rural educator. Meanwhile, I have always been the bumbling, disorganised stay-at-home-momma-with-some-skills. With full knowledge of my innate tendency to procrastinate and in the grip of a terror that will wreak intestinal havoc on my being, I have committed to a creative workshop. ( with a venue and a schedule and everything! )
      Through the decades of raising my children oftentimes I found myself breaking out the supplies and having them beside me mucking about. ( "Mommy, can we play too??" ) As well, my hubby couldn't draw a stickman without help so, when one of the many "hats" a teacher is required to wear was an artists, I filled in to "play" with his class. Staff and students alike called on me over the years. So many things  tumbled out of our collective imaginations. How-tos in various media, themed projects to enhance curriculum, sets and props for plays. ( remembering those will be a blog for another day..)
       One of the media we enjoyed was papier mache, not just volcanoes and hallowe'en masks but full-on  "Ask-her,-she-can-make-anything" endless creations. Possibilities in paper, that's what I'm offering to teach in May.
      Two days to learn how recycle any inmaginable scrap paper to make awesome new textured sheet papers that can be used for scrap booking, card making or crafted into jewellery, trinket and gift boxes. Then another two day class will follow to work and sculpt in papier mache using strip and "mash" techniques. 
      In keeping with the push for green living, It is a means of recycling  trash to treasure, cost effective and filled with limitless possibility. Come, "play" with me!! ( and imagine lots of pictures here, someone PLEASE tell me how to post pictures.) 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jan....I just wrote a long blog to you and I'm sending this test practice to you...if it works, I'll redo my comment to you......I'm interested in your workshop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so my first blog to you worked....I'mlearning!!! glad I dropped in to your blog....and the time is actually wish in the am...not 6:40am!!
    Anyway, I'm interested in joining your workshop...it sounds like fun and I'm always up for learning new stuff in the 'art domain'; so, would love to come out and play. Let me know where?
    I'm attending the Cumberland County Home and Country Show in Amherst (with my art booth) May 4-6/12 - I'll be doing a portrait there for all to see!
    We're settled in S.Rawdon now and have so much to do on the farm....landscaping is what John calls "Early Opportunity!"....so much to do. After the Amherst show, I want to come out and visit with you (I'm retired now as you may have guessed on FB)....so, I have no excuse. I've been so busy creating in my art room to get ready for this show - so much so that I haven't ridden my horse in several weeks!!!!!!
    Anyway, I'll check this site regularly and we'll blog again soon! Hugs to you...your cousin Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so want to do this but I am away and don't get home until noon on the Saturday

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I am so fortunate as to have a number of people expressing an interest, I may run the sessions again later on.
    Ideally 8-10 people would be a comfortable number for the space and equipment at this time. If response is greater I would work very hard to accommodate others at a later date

    ReplyDelete